Sunday, February 6, 2011

On my way

I am sitting here this early a.m. because muscles in my body (that I didn't even remember existed) have screamed out to me all night every time I moved:(  Being sore is the "stinky" part of a newly implemented strength routine.  Of course it's been years (10 to be exact) since I've done any strength training and last night brought back some painful memories-pardon the pun!  The last time I felt this sore was beginning of September 2001, shortly before my Mom died. I had begun working out w/weights w/my friend Mary Beth at the base gym and I woke up 2 days later w/so much pain in my body that I was desperate for relief. The girls/I were heading to my parent's to celebrate Michaela's 5th b-day and I could barely move while I was driving.  Mom had been on some serious pain meds for her feet/legs prior to gastric bypass and graciously offered me some "relief" through half a darvocet (not sure that's how you spell it-just know it's no longer on the market any long-GOOD riddance!).  I know, I should not have been taking anyone else's prescipt meds, but it was a Saturday, I wasn't near the base to get prescript myself, and I had tried all otc meds and nothing was touching the pain-so I was desperate! All it took was about 15 min and I felt "nothing", much less pain-it was if I was paralyzed-but unfortunately on the heels of that numbing came vomit:(  I got SO sick-it was absolutely terrible!  I didn't even pretend to understand how my mom could have ever stomached those things 2 at a time!  So, once that half pill wore off and the vomiting stopped-I experienced the pain from my newly discovered muscles again.  Memories-a beautiful thing, but can sometimes be painful as well-WOW-I'm really on a role w/the pain puns today!lol 

All of this to say that even though I am currently experiencing this pain-I know it is necessary given the unused condition of my muscles.  It is a reminder that I'm "on my way" to better health.  It can sometimes be hard/difficult to go through the struggles (temptations, pain, etc..) that it takes to improve health-but I know the payoff will be worth the pain in the experience.  I went through plenty of struggle to carry/birth/raise 2 beautiful daughters-but truly, that has been such a rewarding experience.  I know that, on the other side of this pain, awaits a new me, one that is physically strong.  Finally free from the bondage of a sedentary lifestyle, free from advertising/marketing of fragmented junk food, free from life threatning health diseases, free to finally be able to do/be all that God has designed for me to be.  So, I will press through the pain, return to the power pump class tomorrow a.m. so that I can reclaim my health one day at a time. 

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you! You are really sticking with it and I know as well that it will get easier! I loved going to the gym..and the strength training was by far my favorite (i personally can't stand a treadmill!) And you will be proud to know, I, yes, I repeat, I bought some spinach to make a spinach salad. That brings on a whole new pain for me.. much like your muscles are feeling right now! Lol.. :) <3 the blog update, and Keep it up! You are an awesome person and you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to!!

    ReplyDelete