Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16-What a week!

This morning is the first time in over a week that I actually have enough energy to resume my daily routine again.  The last time I blogged, it was about how sore I was from the new exercise/strength training class I went to.  Well, the soreness lead way to a bout w/early symptomatic pneumonia.  Of course the illness came just in time for the largest snow storm of the year!  Last week was "eventful" to say the least.  It started off well enough with the monthly MOPS meeting on Monday night. I didn't feel "just right", but made it through the meeting.  Tuesday I went to the commissary because we had very little fruit/veggies in the house and I was anticipating the impending "snow storm" they were predicting for Wednesday. Still didn't feel "just right" on Tuesday-as a matter of fact felt very fatiqued and slept for 4 hours straight in the middle of the day.  Had a fever by Tuesday evening-but of course then it was too late to see anyone at the base by that time. I knew by Wednesday morning something was "really" wrong.  It is very difficult to forget the bout I had with pneumonia 2 years ago this month.  There is NO feeling like not being able to breathe a normal breath without feeling as though you are suffocating, not eating for several days, etc...  This feeling was returning to me last Wednesday morning and I called a dear sister that is a medical practitioner and asked her to drive over to take a look at me so that if I needed an antibiotic-I could get it before the weather got any worse. Alas, I was prescribed an antibiotic, cough suppressant, and an inhaler in case my breathing became labored. Within 24 hrs I was feeling better and I'm so thankful for the people God places in my path each day that are there just at the right time/place!  I am also very thankful for modern medicine.  I know that many people do not like the idea of taking meds-over the counter-or otherwise.  I, however, am generally a very healthy person and I do NOT take any medication flippantly.  I use meds judiciously-but because of that, when i do NEED a medication, it works wonders for me and for that I am thankful:)  So, last weeks saga continued with about 8" of snow here in central Arkansas.  Of course I did not feel well at all, so I just sat in my recliner watching the snow fall, drinking loads of water, coughing, bundled in my blanket.  It was beautiful to watch.  Thursday, very little of the white stuff had disappeared.  I was still under the weather-but my fever was finally gone and I ate a few bites of food but was having some trouble keeping much down without feeling very sick to my stomach. I finally realized it was the antibiotic that was hurting my stomach.  John called me from work that day and he got official notification that he will be going to the desert for a year in July.  Of course, if I would have felt better, this news may have struck me differently.  But, due to timing, I couldn't really even fully process what he was saying.  I was not surprised that he got the notification.  He applied for the job because he really needed to get out of his job here and this was a good opportunity to go someplace and really enjoy what he does for a year.  At the end of the year, he will get a new/final assignment with the USAF:)  We are praying for the assignment to be in central Missouri-Whiteman AFB.  We are considering retiring to that area (near my sister/her family), so this would be excellent timing for that final assignment/prepare to retire.  Friday came around and we made the decision to go ahead with our weekend trip to LA to visit our dear God peeps, the Lefort's.  The roads were still a little "iffy" here in this area, but we knew once we got a little further south, things would be totally clear and the weekend was going to be nice/warm.  So, we waited to leave until about noon and headed south to LA.  It was an uneventful trip-no problems at all once we got south of Little Rock, just slow going at various places until that point.  Of course coughing and driving can make for an interesting combo-but none of the girls in the car w/me seemed to mind-they were just glad to go spend the weekend with their friend, Julia:)  We had a very nice weekend with our friends.  I was slowly able to "eat" a little more each day.  I was still a bit fatiqued because I had not eaten much in 4-5 days, so I did have to take a nap on Saturday for a bit.  Sunday was the first time I ate one "normal" meal for lunch after services. I was sorry that Jessica couldn't join us because William was home with strep throat.  Now I'm just praying none of the girls we took with us get it:(  So, yes, it was quite a week-sickness, new assignment for hubby, trip to LA all in one week!  I'm just trying to get my house back in order today. Yesterday was the first day I ate an entire day's worth of "normal" meals-so my energy level is coming back up.  I had lunch with my HIPPY gal pals on Monday after group meeting, lunch with my God chick Amy yesterday, and today I will be lunching w/myself right here in my own house-for the first time in a week!  So, yes, it has been quite a week around here!  For those of you that may be following the inspirational thought that I post from time to time-please forgive my inability to keep up!  I will do what I can when I can. I am hosting book club for Michaela's friends here on Friday night. Sunday afternoon, I am attending a spring formal banquet planning meeting.  In the middle of this, I am planning a murder mystery dinner party for ladies night for the God chicks in the church here for next Thursday night.  So, yes, I have just a little on my plate right now.  I would like to share today's thought with you:

Feb16-"Fear of failing, fear of starting something new and not finishing.  We might not be happy with the way we are living now, but at least it's safely familiar.  If you feel frightened or unsure about the future, remember life isn't an adventure worth telling if there aren't any unfamiliars."

Certainly in the months ahead, I will be reminding myself of that idea. As a military spouse, these next 4 months will bring loads of challenges as I prepare to be without my hubby for the next year (unfamiliar territory).  We've been apart for 4 months for deployment-but the year long assignment will be new/unfamiliar.  However, I do know that a year passes quickly and that the adventure that waits on the other side for us will be well worth it:)  Just be looking for me to write about my feelings here in this blog in the months/year ahead as I enter this new zone.  I'm not afraid of the upcoming year-I embrace it because I know that God has it ALL worked out for my good-Romans 8:28!:)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed having lunch with you very much, and was so glad to see/hear that you were feeling better! I'm sure that being without John for a year is going to be a new challenge, but you've got lots of friends and people to chat and to support you and your girls. I'm looking forward to the blog updates and the chats and visits hopefully we will have :)

    So thankful again that your health is getting better each day, and for our visit on Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say this. When Brian left for the year in Korea. I was so not prepared. I was worried...sad...even a little angry. Fast forward through that year...and I can only tell you this.
    I grew!!!! God grew me in ways I can't even begin to express. My words would fall short on His praises. HE is in fact an awesome God. Vicki...I have never been the same. (who'd want to be!!)
    God has this and has you in His hands. Its going to be good.
    I love you to bits!!!

    ReplyDelete